In a shake-up of long-standing travel rules, European nationals heading to the UK would from tomorrow need a mandatory entry permit, which the British government says would strengthen border security.
The electronic travel authorization (ETA) can be bought online in the next few days for £10 (US$13), but the price is to rise swiftly from April 9 to £16.
It is similar to the ESTA system in operation in the US and will be mandatory for all European visitors to Britain from tomorrow, following its roll-out for US, Canadian and other visa-exempt nationals in January.
Photo: EPA-EFE
“By digitizing the immigration system we are paving the way for a contactless UK border,” British Undersecretary of State for Migration and Citizenshi Migration Minister Seema Malhotra said earlier this month when the Web site was opened for the first applications.
“Expanding ETA worldwide cements our commitment to enhance security through technology and innovation,” she said.
The permit allows visits of up to six months and is valid for two years. It is required for all travelers, including minors and babies.
The application, which can be made on a smartphone app or through the government Web site, has been open to Europeans since the start of last month. From tomorrow, nationals of some 30 European countries — including all those in the EU except Ireland — will need to carry the electronic permit to enter Britain, which left the EU in 2020.
The applicant will need to provide a photo of their passport and their face. The process takes about 10 minutes, the Home Office said.
In most cases, an application decision is made within minutes. However, the government recommends allowing up to three working days for the application.
If successful, the ETA is digitally linked to the applicant’s passport.
Flight passengers transiting airside without crossing the UK border are exempt from the scheme, after pressure from Heathrow, which feared a loss of passenger footfall connecting through Europe’s busiest airport.
Only Heathrow and Manchester airports have provisions for airside transit in the UK.
Almost 84 million passengers passed through Heathrow last year — a third from the neighboring EU.
The scheme was first launched in 2023 for Qatar, before being extended to five regional Gulf neighbors. In January, it was expanded to nationals of about another 50 countries and territories, including Argentina, South Korea and New Zealand.
Almost 1.1 million visitors were issued with ETAs before the end of last year, the Home Office said.
It is not applicable to UK residents or anyone who already has a UK immigration status.
ETA mirrors the ETIAS scheme for visa-exempt nationals traveling to 30 European countries, including France and Germany, which has been delayed until next year.
ANGER: Unrest worsened after a taxi driver was killed by a police vehicle on Thursday, as protesters set alight government buildings across the nation Protests worsened overnight across major cities of Indonesia, far beyond the capital, Jakarta, as demonstrators defied Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto’s call for calm. The most serious unrest was seen in the eastern city of Makassar, while protests also unfolded in Bandung, Surabaya, Solo and Yogyakarta. By yesterday morning, crowds had dispersed in Jakarta. Troops patrolled the streets with tactical vehicles and helped civilians clear trash, although smoke was still rising in various protest sites. Three people died and five were injured in Makassar when protesters set fire to the regional parliament building during a plenary session on Friday evening, according to
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying